December 11, 2023
Centre for Stories, in partnership with City of Joondalup, is excited to announce that we are seeking to train new storytellers who live within the City of Joondalup boundaries or have stories of and about Joondalup, in preparation for the Joondalup Festival in March 2024.
We are seeking to train Joondalup residents with stories inspired by the theme of ‘Better Together‘: true, lived experiences of any or multiple of the following:
a) working together with your community to build something new or improved;
b) discovering and building empathy and connection with others;
c) and/or taking care of our environment (people, places and animals).
Stories can be big or small, but they must be true and have been experienced by you – we ask that you do not submit stories that were told to you by someone else, for example. And remember – the best stories always involve overcoming obstacles or personal growth from challenges.
After considering applications, up to 15 individuals will partake in two 3-hour storytelling workshops over two weeks in February, facilitated by storyteller extraordinaire Colin Archibald. A select few will then be chosen to share their story publicly at the Joondalup Festival’s storytelling event, Colourful Stories (the after show program of How The Birds Got Their Colours), on 12th March 2024. All workshops and events will be held within Joondalup.
All storytellers who speak at the Colourful Stories/How The Birds Got Their Colours event will be remunerated, and all workshop participants will:
- learn fundamental storytelling and narrative techniques;
- improve their public speaking and confidence;
- bond and connect with their Joondalup community;
- have a unique opportunity to share their experiences with a wide audience.
If consent is provided by the storyteller, your stories may be recorded and shared online in Centre for Stories and City of Joondalup’s communications.
Expectations of participants:
- Commit to attending the two storytelling workshops (3-hours each) on 17th & 24th February 2024;
- In principle, be happy to potentially share your story publicly at the Colourful Stories event as part of the Joondalup Festival, and for them to be recorded and shared online;
- Commit to practicing your story in your own time in-between workshops;
- Come to the workshops with an open mind and a vulnerable heart – ready to talk about your experiences.
Complete the application form below. You will be asked to share a story idea that comes to mind based on the theme of Better Together. Please note that any ideas you submit do not need to be the final story you craft in the workshops – we just want to get a better idea of who you are and your experiences.
If you have any questions about this program, contact Luisa Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Closing Date: Monday 29 January 2024 at 11:59pm AWST.
Feature image: Sisonke Msimang facilitating her ‘Storytelling Hacks’ workshop, 2023.
Help us do more
We’re on a mission to create a diverse, inclusive, and cohesive society through the art of storytelling. Join us in supporting emerging artists and sharing powerful stories from across our community.